2012年12月18日星期二

Shanghai: Shuyin Building


In the busy downtown Shanghai, there is an “architectural hermit” which is called “Shuyin Building”. Covering an total area of more than 2,000 square kilometers, the building is the only one relatively complete large-scale architecture of Qing Dynasty in downtown Shanghai and is also the only one private residence that is listed as the Shanghai Municipal Cultural Relic Preservation Unit.

Built in the 28th year(1763A.D.) of Qianlong Reign in Qing Dynasty, Shuyin Building has a history of nearly 230 years. Now it is located in the NO. 77, Tiandeng Lane, South Shanghai. According to the present owner, the building was originally the private residence of Shen Chu in Qianlong reign. In around 1930s, Guo bought the old base of the building.
I still remember it was the last day my Shanghai Xian tour, I went to the building with my friend’s recommendation. I heard about Shuyin Building long before, and this time I went Tiandeng Lane just for the building.
Due to various reasons, Shuyin Building has not drawn too much attention of Shanghai Municipal Government. The houses have been utterly decadent and the original tinge of the exquisite wood carvings also faded under the erosion of wind and rain. The building owner Mrs Guo was very generous to let me take photos there. When seeing the courtyard full of Boston ivy and wild grass, I felt shocked. My Xian tour left me a deep impression because Xian did make a great effort on protecting the historical and cultural relics. I think if it is in Xian, perhaps you will see something quite different from this.

没有评论:

发表评论